Most people are notorious procrastinators when it comes to emergency preparedness. This is why you can go to any grocery or hardware store to witness a complete panic in action the day before a major storm hits… or the day after a terrorist attack.
Well, among the things you might need, a small emergency radio should be near the top. Let’s face it, information is crucial to decision making during an emergency.
Radio Shack is now offering a compact emergency radio called the
FR300, cobranded by the American Red Cross, for $49.00. It offers a number of excellent features:
- It’s small – 6.5″ x 6″ x 2.5″
- It receives AM / FM / Weather band and TV band frequencies.
- It has a built in LED flashlight.
- It has an emergency siren.
- It will run off of a 110v outlet, internal batteries, or in the worst case off a built in hand crank.
- It will charge a cell phone if your battery dies.
So, now that you’re thinking about it why don’t you do your future self a favor and pick one of these up. You never know… it may one day save your life.
EDIT: March 22, 2010 – The FR300 is no longer available but you can check out newer models and others at Radio Shack.