Yesterday’s post about the Annoy-a-tron brought back fond memories from long ago when I worked in an office where people actually liked one another and we all used to pull practical jokes.
In fact, we were very competitive about our pranks, with each of us attempting to out do the other. Here now is a list of the top pranks from the ‘good old days’.
Jack the Scotch tape.
- Get a box cutter.
- Remove tape from dispenser.
- Cut deep slit across tape one time.
- Reinsert roll into dispenser.
Every time they try to get tape it will keep tearing when they don’t want it to.
Can You Hear Me Now?
This one works on any phone that will allow you to remove the cover from the microphone area.
- If your target has a headset, pull the foam cover off the microphone and wrap a single layer of tape around the microphone, then replace the cover.
- If your target has a handset, remove the mouthpiece and put a small piece of tape over the holes on the inside, then replace.
Whenever they take a call, everyone will complain that it’s hard to hear them. They’ll be practically screaming to get people to hear them!
Black and Blue
This one works exclusively with headsets.
- Stop by the office store, or a secretary’s desk, and pick up an ink pad.
- Blot the earpiece of your target in the ink pad thoroughly.
Sit back and watch the fun.
The Hunt and Peck Typing Challenge
So, your target isn’t a touch typist huh…?
- The keys will pop off of any keyboard on the planet. Take some scissors and pop several of them off, then re-install them in the wrong places.
- For extra maliciousness, don’t move them very far, that way it isn’t entirely noticeable.
You’ve got two options here.
- Simply reach around to the back of your target’s computer and unplug the mouse cable.
- Remove the trackball on the bottom of the mouse and put a piece of double sided tape up under there, then replace.
Your target will try EVERYTHING to get it to work. When they finally call IT over and discover it’s just unplugged they’ll feel like a complete idiot.
Romeo and Julie… Yet?
Most people foolishly leave their office PC unattended and unlocked. That is a serious mistake…
- Wait till your target leaves for lunch, then sneak over to their computer and send a romantic invitation to a colleague.
- WARNING: this one can get you fired, so make sure you keep it between people who are in on the pranks and won’t rat you out!
While you are messing with their unlocked computer here are a few other things you can do if you are a bit computer savvy:
- Set their Microsoft Word to auto-correct their name or other words to something completely different. For example their name = moron.
- Create desktop shortcuts to several “NSFW” Web sites, then move them all into the Start menu under Programs-Startup . About 10 or so will do. Then shut down their PC and wait till you see the look on their face when they restart it.
- Set their keyboard language setting to Japanese, or Greek.
- Move their task bar to the top of the screen, then set it to auto-hide. Works even better if you first take a screen capture of the desktop and set it as the wallpaper.
The Junk Mail Problem
Do you know someone that needs to feel loved?
- Mosey on over to Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, or similar and sign them up for a few mailing lists.
- Some classic favorites would include PETA and NAMBLA.
- You can also go to Catalogs.com and sign them up for a few free goodies.
Depends… Check em’ Out
The most important part of this prank is subtlety. If you go overboard with it, you’ll ruin it.
- Go get a small cup of water.
- When your target isn’t around pour about 1/4 cup into the very center of their cloth office chair.
- If it’s been scotch guarded you may need to take a push pin or a writing instrument and make tiny little holes to try to get the fluid to soak in.
- Don’t overdo it or they may notice the big wet spot.
If you did it right, they’ll sit in that puddle for an hour before realizing they are all wet.
Dear Fax Machine… Try Again!
- Send a fax to your target’s desk phone.
- Make sure the machine is set to auto-redial in case of a failure.
Other random simple pranks:
- Drop a rubber duckie into the water cooler when you are changing the bottle.
- Superglue quarters to the floor. Watch people try to pick them up.
- Hang a small weird photo of a stranger in their office where it won’t be noticed by the target, but where it will likely be seen by others.
- Place a fresh car scent evergreen trees under a computer or monitor.
- Finally, you could always fill their office with balloons / packing peanuts; or wrap everything in aluminum foil / shrink wrap / post it notes.
Here is also a long thread on MetaFilter on the subject. A few good ones in there too.
If you’ve got any good ones, drop them in the comments section below!
EDIT 9/3/2007: I just came across this video which shows a great prank involving a lot of cardboard. Watch and see:
This one might just possibly take the cake though. These guys actually walled off the CEO’s office!