Where’s OSHA When You Need ‘em?

Here in the US we have laws governed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) which are meant to protect workers from unsafe conditions. But apparently OSHA is on holiday right now. Meanwhile the rest of the world needs to be adopting some safety standards too, or they are going to be ending up headlining the Darwin Awards.

Take this photo for example: “Let me just drive this forklift off the dock… while carrying a bomb!”

Forklift Accident with Bomb

Just imagine what this little Asian guy looks like when he takes off his shirt! He must be built like a mini Schwarzenegger.

Crazy Chinese Holding Ladder

Do you think his last words were, “Let me just get this last weld on the gas tank…”

Welding a Gas Tank

Let me get this straight. He’s going to paint the entire side of a building with a brush, by hand, on ladders lashed together 4 stories high?

Painting on Ridiculous Ladder

Note: Bare feet on aluminum ladder sitting in pool of water with electrical cord dangling above. Nice.

Unsafe Ladder in Pool

Let’s assume that’s all styrofoam strapped to the bicycle. What happens if a strong wind blows?

Funny Bike

Ok. 10 feet away is what looks like a 4″ pipe that goes up well beyond the roof. Why not just climb it?

3 Unsafe Ladders Tied Together

What the hell is he pointing at, and where does he think he’s going?

Stuck in a Tree

Now what? The second forklift driver isn’t even at the controls!

Daisy Chain Forklifts

Do you think the rich guy that hired them to trim the hedges is fully insured?

Ladder on Ladder

These guys don’t look like they work for the electric company to me.

Ladder in a Bucket

Comments

1. Karl B says:

Cracking me up! Thanks for the gut laugh!

2. Brian Friel says:

Those pictures are great. I’m sure a few are photoshopped, but the reality is that people really do find ways to do the stupidest things! People trying to tie ladders together is exactly why organizations like OSHA were created. I’m pretty sure that OSHA stood for Outrageously Stupid Human Acts in the beginning.

Brian

3. Mike N. says:

The forklift with the bomb did not go off the dock. It picked up the load off the rack on the side but the load is off center so the back end came off and the truck headed backward (notice the scrapes on the ground).

4. Forget OSHA…whatever happened to natural selection? These pictures blow that theory right out of the water. NPI

5. Love the pictures, did maker me laugh. Have many of my own just like these, wher can I send them? or perhaps I sould put them up on my blog. John

6. Kris says:

That dude on the bike with the styrofoam looking stuff… I see that ALL the time here in South Korea. I’ve only lived here a few months and I am still kicking myself everytime I go out without my camera. The most shocking thing I’ve seen in a guy on a scooter with stuff strapped to the back (much like styropfoam rider) passing our bus, and on the back a little child clung to it like a suction cup toy in the back window of a minivan.

7. Teena says:

Oh My God!! Unbelievable!!!!

8. Robert Geczi says:

These kinds of things are so common in China, where I currently am. I am not even sure they have a government body that actually enforces workplace safety. They just do what they have to in order to get the job done. Like, a few times, my wife and I changed apartments, and each time we brought our room air con unit to our new place. Well, each time the worker would go OUT onto the ledge to disconnect the AC lines and so on, and each time I was the one holding the rope that was attached to this worker.

Thank goodness I am a big guy, at least. ;)

9. That little asian guy look like might have back problems in the future. :( Watch out little asain man!

10. chris watson says:

haha the bloke on the push bike… carlsberg dont do suicide bombers but if they did…..

11. buck says:

The bomb should’ve had a label that says “Do Not Drop”

12. Vinayak says:

mann.. this is cool !!

13. banjo says:

“give me duct tape and three ladders and watch me go macgyver”

14. Saim Baig says:

Funny how people do such silly things.And also get caught on camera.

15. Dynamike says:

OK, now that’s some scary looking situations.

16. Frank says:

Note the guy on the ladder in the pool. No shoes, metal ladder, in pool soaking wet but he still has the keen sense to wear his eye protection. Its a start at least.

17. olstar18 says:

It could be a window. Take a closer look what is that line going down the center of the “door.” It looks like a window with the shutters closed. And as for the forks not being visible. What about the dust in front of the bomb. If a fork lift hits like that the forks won’t necessarily bend but they WILL dig into the concrete and depending on how hard and the angle they hit at some of it will be tossed forward. You also said it would have had to go through the wall to get that spot which would be true if it was going straight toward the camera and not at an angle to the camera. You are right about the bomb being off balance so that maybe was added.

18. marc says:

these guys must all work for wastemanagment

19. Will says:

The right side of the forklift is on the left side of the door. the left side of the forklift would have had to go through the brick wall to get where it was. Now if the right side of that lift were next to that gray object with the green hat on it, I’ll believe it went through that “invention”. Besides… if you look just above the forklift, you can see a closed door. Now look inside the forklift, you should be able to see the door, you can’t, just a wall. It’s been photoshoped. Looking at the wall through the forklift should be lighter like that door, not darker like the rest of the wall. Also, the bomb is seriously off balance to where the forks would be carrying it. It would have tipped over long before it got to the door. Speaking of forks, where are they. For the size of the that lift, you should see them bent on the other side of the bomb.

20. TheDane says:

hehehe, yeah pretty obvious he came out through the door :)

Kim:)