Thanks once again to my good friend Roy Kaldung for yet again saving our ass and keeping One Man’s Blog alive and kicking!
Several of you guys sent me e-mails today notifying me that OMB was down for much of the day. Unfortunately I was tied up for most of the day, but when I did get free I spent a few hours trying to determine what the problem was. Of course, I wasn’t making much progress…
Well, bright and early in Germany (like 6 am mind you!) Roy went to check on the OMB server, then IM’ed me when he noticed it was having issues. After about an hour of heavy duty trouble shooting he finally figured out that the culprit was actually the Dragon Design Sitemap Generator plugin I was using on the site.
After going through some rather technical troubleshooting steps involving watching every line of PHP execute until something broke, Roy noticed that there were 736,808 lines created with the prefix “ddsg”. It was pretty easy to figure out which plugin that was…
Next, he noticed that the 736,808 rows in the table were marked with the option
autoload, but the server simply didn’t have enough memory to handle all of that. Now, this plugin has been on the site for a long time, but I guess we’ve only just gotten to the breaking point where it began causing real issues.
The fix involved simply disabling the plugin and then updated the table and setting all these entries to
autoload='no'. Although I like this plugin, it took down my entire server multiple times and was getting progressively worse until Roy caught the problem, so unfortunately I won’t be able to re-install it.
It’s almost 2:30am and I wanted to share this with everyone that was concerned before I head off to sleep, so please join me in thanking Roy for taking his morning to troubleshoot this issue for us so that we can continue life as we know it. (That is for those of you who even noticed that OMB was unavailable in the first place!)