I recently completed the upgrade to WordPress 2.3 and thought it was about time I gave some credit where credit is due. So, the following is a complete list of all of the plugins that are in use here on OMB.
Perhaps others will find these plugins of use as well, but more importantly I want to thank the hard work of all the developers that make OMB what it is.
To start out with, I use my own Rapid Access theme, which I built from the ground up to be fast, accessible, and skinnable. Feel free to grab it and to modify it.
- WP Super Cache – My main man Donncha massively improved WP Cache to increase performance by about 300%! No blog should be without this plugin, and if you’re using WP Cache you need to upgrade immediately!
- FeedBurner FeedSmith – redirects RSS feeds to FeedBurner to relieve burden from my server and provide for better tracking.
- No Adverts for Friends – Again Donncha changes the character of my site! This plugin allows my regular visitors to NOT see ads, while ensuring that transient visitors DO see them. My Ad revenues increased even though regular readers never see ads.
- MightySearch – Although WordPress has decent search functionality built in, if you switch to MightySearch and use your Google AdSense account you can earn a little cash from their embedded search.
- Donncha’s Competitive Ad Filter is also compulsory reading. My AdSense revenue doubled because of him, so you might wanna pay attention!
- Bad Behavior – provides protection against automated script-bots.
- Akismet -checks all comments against a known spammer database. Catches 99% of em’ and also flags a few incorrectly which I have to manually release later.
- Secure and Accessible PHP Contact Form – after getting off to a bit of a rocky start, we got things sorted out and I’ve installed this plugin for spam free feedback and to demonstrate there are no hard feelings.
SEO and Navigation
- WP Admin Bar Reloaded – Adds a small admin bar to the top of every page. You’ll wonder how you ever lived without it!
- No WWW – Matt Mullenweg built this little gem to redirect all domain requests from http://www.yourdomain.com to http://yourdomain.com. This improves search results.
- Other Posts from Cat plugin for WordPress – Notice the related links below each of my posts? Well, this is the plugin that handles that.
- Google XML Sitemaps – creates a sitemap which helps search engines fully index all pages to ensure better search performance.
- StripTease – Strip Ã¢â‚¬Å“#moreÃ¢â‚¬Â fragments from Ã¢â‚¬Å“Read MoreÃ¢â‚¬Â teaser links so the short article summaries on the home page link to the top of the individual page.
- Comment Quicktags Reloaded – provides the handy little buttons for “Bold”, “Italics”, etc. at the top of each of the comment boxes.
- WP AJAX Edit Comments – allows you to edit your own comments for up to 15 minutes after you submit them. This lets you correct those horrible spelling mistakes you notice AFTER you post a comment.
- Comment Referrers – Again my boy Donncha comes through with a plugin that appends referrer info to comment e-mails.
- Paged Threaded Comments – one of the greatest plugins of all time, this functionality should be incorporated into the WordPress code! It threads the comments so people can respond to specific comments and keep related responses grouped together.
- Recent Comments Widget – A must have, this shows the most recent comments over in the sidebar – a very popular feature on the blog here.
- Subscribe To Comments – allows commenters to check a box to receive notification of follow ups.
- Show Top Commentators – creates a highly customizable list of top commenters on the blog. You’ll see it over in the sidebar as I use this in conjunction with the Executable PHP widget.
- Executable PHP widget – Allows you to execute PHP commands from a plugin within the sidebar. I use this in conjunction with the Show Top Commentators plugin you see over on the right.
- PJW Mime Config – used to add new upload capabilities to the built in WordPress uploader. I use it to add unusual file types like the Google Earth KML or KMZ files on posts like this.
- runPHP – Allows you to put PHP code into a post and have it be executed.
- Wikipedia nofollow – Searches for links to Wikipedia.org, and adds a rel=Ã¢â‚¬ÂnofollowÃ¢â‚¬Â tag if necessary. Why? Because they do it to you!
- WP-DBManager – Allows you to optimize database, repair database, backup database, restore database, delete backup database , drop/empty tables and run selected queries. Supports automatic scheduling.
Graphics and Multimedia
- Audio Player – converts all MP3 links to an embeddable player. Example: Get Your Virtual Haircut and Other Auditory Illusions
- URL Absolutifier – Fix URL in all links and images to be absolute instead of relative. This is necessary so images work in feeds if you use certain image uploader plugins.