I just had to give up my Sprint powered PPC8800 for a Blackberry Curve 8310 so I could be on the communal rate plan and also have real-time Exchange access for e-mail at work. After doing so it forced me to do a lot of research on applications and ways to better my Curve.
I figured some other people are going to go looking for this info as well, so I’ve compiled what I learned here. Its not my most organized post, but there is a lot of information and I didn’t want to spend forever getting the post out. Hopefully if anyone knows of other cool, free stuff for the BB you’ll drop a comment below and let me know.
Free Themes for BlackBerry
If you want to change the look and feel of your BB you need to swap themes. But I found it was very hard to discover the free ones because so many people were trying to sell you themes! The absolutely most comprehensive and easy to search list of Free themes can be found on the CydiaRepo.com site. Each theme review is listed and is clearly labeled as FREE.
Personally, I’m only looking for themes which will provide the most information and best make use of screen real estate. I did find the following theme’s interesting:
- New Freebies from Mobile.Blackberry.com
- Jason Calhoun’s Titanium Today theme and Calix ATT Today theme.
- GetSpool is the site to bookmark your favorite page and share with friends.
- Want your BlackBerry to look like an iPhone? Here you go.
If you do a lot of traveling, you might want to take a look at WorldMate. WorldMate Live pieces together your travel itinerary details – including flight, hotel, car rental and meeting information – creating a complete schedule available for immediate inspection on your mobile phone screen.
Here is a cute little video that demonstrates what it does because it’s too much to describe.
bbLocal: Free Maping and Local Directory for the Blackberry!
What started as a regular Google Maps viewer for the Blackberry has now turned into a full fledge City Guide, with the ability to locate businesses and tourists spots.
- Full featured mapping program
- Business directory
- Get information on business and tourist spots
- Find the hottest tourists spots
- Satellite view
Earthcomber also offers a BlackBerry application that:
ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s the free way to find all the things you care about nearby ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ instead of tapping, tapping, tapping in a search box. You can use Earthcomber as-is, anonymously, to find the most popular things in the most common situations. But, you can also personalize Earthcomber to look for the special things and people you like, wherever you go in the US.
- Get Movie Info Fast – Search by movie, theater or genre. See show times, read reviews and connect directly to driving directions from wherever you are.
- Locate a Business – With millions of businesses available from the Superpages.com database, youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re sure to find what you need, when you need it.
- Map Your Way – With interactive maps and turn by turn directions, you can get where youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re going quickly, easily and without the frustration of having to find that piece of paper on which you wrote directions.
- Find a Person – The People Finder function allows you to find a friend, old neighbor or coworker across town, or across the country.
- Track the Weather – DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t let the weather ruin your plans – your five day forecast is available whether you will be in town or far away.
MarketFilters quotes and analysis application puts stock quotes, charts and technical analysis right on your BlackBerry device. Just visit MarketFilters.com on your BlackBerry Web browser and look for the link to install the application. After you’ve installed the app you can load in your list of stocks to keep an eye on and it will give you up to date quotes every time you open the application. (I know Todd is going to love this one!)
MarketFilter Features include:
- Stock and index quotes.
- Charts of price and Market Filters scores.
- MarketFilters scan results.
- Light-weight and transfers significantly less data than a website.
- Uses webservices provided by Market Filters for the scan and quote data.
- Built for BlackBerry devices.
First things first. Point your Web browser to Google.com and scroll to the bottom of the page where you’ll be presented with the ability to download and install a bunch of apps. These will give you access to Google Maps complete with GPS integration, RSS Reader, GMail, Picasa, Search, and more. It’s the first download anyone should make.
Record tracks of your trips anywhere on the Earth from your mobile device. Tracks are traced on Google Maps and stored in an online archive. All you need to start tracking is a mobile device with the internal or external GPS receiver. Here is a review.
TwitterBerry is a great application for sending and reading your tweets on the BlackBerry as well.
bbPlaces is another application designed for BlackBerryÃ‚Â® devices with which you can geoposition places associated with photos you take.
vTap adds a quick search that allows you to choose between WikiPedia, Wiktionary, News, Pronunciation, and a website if applicable.