This video called “Welcome to North Korea” by Peter Tetteroo and Raymond Feddema was the winner of the 2001 International Emmy award for Best Documentary and is a perfect follow up to my previous post, Kim Jong Il Should Die.
Things you’ll learn from this video:
- It’s illegal for a citizen to look a foreigner in the eye in North Korea.
- Music from loudspeakers wake the entire city of Pyongyang up at 7am every morning.
- Elderly people and handicapped are shipped out of the city, or required to stay indoors.
- Confucianism makes people extremely deferential to authority and hierarchy.
- People boil tree bark and clay to put something in their stomachs.
- The CIA admits “we know next to nothing about what happens in this country.”