Ok. This scares the crap out of me! Sarah Palin’s church, Wasilla Assembly of God, apparently has created the Master’s Commission: Wasilla Alaska which is some kind of… um, I don’t know what to call it… cult? And for the record, she was baptized in this church at age 12 and attended it for most of her adult life. As I understand it, when she was inaugurated as governor, the founding pastor of the church delivered the invocation.
Anyway, no need to guess as to what is being preached, luckily all of the sermons are online so you can spend as much time listening as you please.
According to one anonymous person, you’ll hear the following if you listen to them (heck, I’m not gonna do it):
- “Pastor Kalnins” has also preached that critics of President Bush will be banished to hell; questioned whether people who voted for Sen. John Kerry in 2004 would be accepted to heaven; charged that the 9/11 terrorist attacks and war in Iraq were part of a war “contending for your faith;” and said that Jesus “operated from that position of war mode.”
- Kalnins bristled at the treatment President Bush was receiving over the federal government’s handling of Hurricane Katrina. “I hate criticisms towards the President,” he said, “because it’s like criticisms towards the pastor — it’s almost like, it’s not going to get you anywhere, you know, except for hell. That’s what it’ll get you.”
- Kalnins has preached that the 9/11 attacks and the invasion of Iraq were part of a “world war” over the Christian faith, one in which Jesus Christ had called upon believers to be willing to sacrifice their lives.
- He preaches repeatedly about the “end times” or “last days,” an apocalyptic prophesy held by a small but vocal group of Christian leaders. During his appearance with Palin in June, he declared, “I believe Alaska is one of the refuge states in the last days, and hundreds of thousands of people are going to come to the state to seek refuge and the church has to be ready to minister to them.
Anyway, ignoring all of that, just watch the promotional video for their “intense discipleship training program”:
So, here are a couple of parts from a lecture that Palin herself gave at her church with her preacher. Hard to say what scares me the most, but I’m certainly not calmed by her statements about the war in Iraq being a holy war:
“Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God,” she exhorted the congregants. “That’s what we have to make sure that we’re praying for, that there is a plan, and that that plan is God’s plan.”
(PS – If these videos get removed from YouTube try this link.)
- Sarah gives a lecture saying that God needs to help build a pipeline in Alaska.
- She says that if people’s hearts are not right with God that nothing else matters.
- And goes on to state that the War in Iraq is God’s plan.
- One of Sarah’s ministers says, “God wants to tap into the oil as a refuge.”
- The other one starts crying while he’s saying a prayer.
- Near the end of the video her minister conveys a Master’s Commission diploma on Sarah.
- Palin’s final comment: “I gew up at Wasilla Assembly of God, nothing freaks me out about a worship service!”
And to sum things up, here is “A Deeper Look” at the Master’s Commission: Wasilla Alaska.