NetStumbler for Mac – Free MacOS WiFi Network Finders

iStumbler

Before I switched to Mac, I used to love to use NetStumbler for Windows. It is a tool that allows you to find any WiFi network and learn a lot about them. This tool even lets you make note of GPS coordinates and do a little thing that people like to call WarDriving. Not that I would know anything about that.

iStumbler

Problem is, there is no NetStumbler for Mac. However! After a lot of searching I came up with a couple of cool alternatives:

iStumbler-spectrum

• iStumbler – Allows you to find AirPort networks, Bluetooth devices and Bonjour services with your Mac. There is also a desktop widget.
  • KisMAC – This is a complete wardriving app. Meaning it is GPS enabled and will map open WiFi hotspots and everything. Here is the latest Mac OS version.

Oh, and if you are still using Windows, Netstumber is too old and stale. Now there is inSSIDer. Go and get it.

Oh, and if anyone knows of others for either Mac or Win, please do share!

Comments

1. Jakins Mario says

This app is completly useless on the mac pro whichs airport has been replaced by a third party USB WIFI card. It will not even detect the usb device. Airport cards are not the only wifi capable devices on a mac.

2. sam says

Last post deleted the website I entered for Coconut Wifi. ?? hmmm
    It is at www coconut-flavour dot com .
    Let’s try it that way.

3. sam says

I know this is an old message thread but …..
    FWI –
    There is also a program for Macs called AirRadar by Koingo software.
    Current version 2.x costs $19.95 but, earlier versions are still available and were freeware.
    There is also a Mac wifi monitoring application called Coconut Wifi v2.
    It’s less full-featured then AirRadar or iStumbler but is useful in that it has a small footprint and sits in the top Menubar and reports available status with a colored bubble (red, yellow, green).

4. says

Hi Jakc Stilich,

For me, I would change my channel down to channel 3.. as the AP allowing +/-2 from the channel.

In your case. channel 11, might interference with channel 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and channel 6 will be 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Channel 3 would work within channel 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and it will not interference with your neighbors AP.

Hope that help.
    – Julian –

5. Jakc Stilich says

Works with Snow Leopard. Holding down the option key while clicking Airport icon let me see the checked Network’s PHY Mode, BSSID, Channel, Security, etc.

I’m still wondering if there is any easy way to change channel. Example: My neighbor and I are both on channel 11, next door is on 6, all with the same cable company and living very close to each other. What do you recommend I change the channel to?

6. Philip O says

I tried the holding down the option key thing and the only extra menu item that came up was “About Airport” which just tells you which version of the software you are running.

7. turk says

Actually, this information is obtainable in Mac OS X by holding down the “option” key when selecting the airport icon at the top right of your screen…

8. says

Well, you’re right, but sometimes you need to troubleshoot a network and actually see information such as the strength, channel, etc. of a signal. For that you need a tool like these.

John

9. Yan says

I don’t get it. Do you actually need a separate application to automate the search for available network? I mean whenever I bring my Mac around, my airport will auto detect any available network in the vicinity. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Yan