BlogWorld & WordCamp Las Vegas Photowalk – 7pm Saturday Oct 17, 2009
Well, since I’ll be attending and speaking at BlogWorld / WordCamp in a couple of weeks in Las Vegas I thought it might be fun to organize a photowalk if anyone is interested in a get together and an evening of exploration and fun. You see, I’m a semi-professional photographer, and an amateur tattoo artist… (think Talledega Nights people.)
If you’ve never been on a photowalk before, essentially what we are going to do is all meet at one place and then walk around Las Vegas seeing the sights, talking, taking photos, and perhaps grabbing a beer here or there. Also, I’m going to take you off the strip, so you’ll see things that most people never do when they come to Vegas.
Now, there are a few good reasons to participate in an event like this:
- I have been to Vegas more times than I can count. I’ve taken hundreds and hundreds of photos of the city, and I’ll take you right to where you can get some great ones.
- Wandering around after dark by yourself might be a little scary for some people, so a group event is safer and more fun.
- If you love taking photos, then you’ll love Vegas at night. There is simply not a better spot for night photography.
- And finally, if you would like some tips and tricks, I’ll be happy to provide some instruction for anyone who needs it along the way.
As far as the details are concerned, here is what I’m thinking…
We will meet up to head out at 7pm at the Monorail station just outside the Convention Center. Don’t worry, you can not miss it. You can see it from the front door of the building, and since we’ll all be there for Blog World it’s a nice central location. Feel free to follow me on Twitter (@johnpoz) for updates as we go.
From there, we’ll take the monorail down to the Sahara, which is the last stop on the line. We’ll wander through the Sahara and walk on down to the Stratosphere. Along the way will be some fantastic spots for photo opportunities, and this time of evening will be the “golden hour” of sunlight. It’s the best possible time of the day for shots.
When we get to Stratosphere, we’ll stop off at Roxy’s for dinner. This is an old diner style restaurant where the wait staff sings to the customers. A good time will be had by all, I’m certain!
After we’ve had our fill, we will catch cabs and head down to Fremont Street. This is “old” Las Vegas at it’s finest and home to the Fremont Street Experience. If you’ve never been, here is a preview of what you can expect to see. You do NOT want to miss this on your trip to Vegas.
In addition to seeing the incredible laser and light show, I’ll show you around the casinos, the old Neon signs, and we’ll probably even end up at a little pub to wind up the evening with a celebratory beer. I know Aaron Brazell would go for that if he joins in!
I anticipate that we’ll wrap things up by 11pm, and coincidentally this means that anyone who wants to stick around and do a little gambling could head into the Fremont Street casinos where the odds are decidedly more in your favor than over on the strip at the big hotels.
What You Need
Really, the only things you need to bring are:
- Some comfortable shoes and the ability to do a little leisurely walking.
- About $30 to cover the monorail ($5 each way), taxi ($12 each way divide by the number of people sharing), and snacks, etc.
- The desire to hang out and have fun with some fellow bloggers! You’ll probably even pick up some material for your blog!
Other things you may want to bring:
- A camera. But this is not necessary! Just join in if you aren’t a photo buff! It’s like a walking party.
- A tripod. After the sun goes down you will want to disable your flash and use a long exposure. A tripod is a must, even if it’s just a Mini Tripod. Trust me, I’ll teach you how to do it!
- A jacket. I know its the desert, but it can get a little chilly in the evening after the sun goes down and the breeze picks up.
So, here are the folks that have confirmed that they will be joining in. Drop a comment if you’re going to be there and I’ll add you to the list, then be looking forward to meeting everyone!
- Blair Williams
- Victor Cajiao
- John Hawkins
- Aaron B. Hockley
- Austin Passy
- Cali Lewis
- Louis Trapani
- Matt Stratton
- Stefaan Lesage
- Annie Boccio
- Rob Blatt
- Michael D
- Greg Petronzio
- Beata Wickbom
- Therese Mannheimer
I also learned that Victor Cajiao is holding a completely different photowalk on Thursday evening over on the Strip, beginning in front of the Bellagio at 10pm. Unfortunately I won’t be in town until Friday morning so I’ll miss it. But if you were to go with Victor on Thursday and with us on Saturday you’ll come away with a well rounded view of Las Vegas and a ton of photos that you’ll never forget!