They had a special for a one room suite for $175 / night, which is a great rate on Maui. The hotel is only 3 miles from the Four Seasons, Hilton and Marriott so I reasoned that it would be worth saving 50% and just driving around. Plus there are beaches right near the Maui Coast Hotel as well.
- We counted four roaches in the room and bathroom during our stay. Given the fact that there are always a hundred you don’t see for every one you do, this is very disturbing. It also had us worried because we didn’t want them getting in our luggage and going home with us!
- The air conditioning units (one in the bedroom, and one in the living room) both pointed directly at where the people are sitting or laying. This makes it very uncomfortable to be in the room. You can’t turn off the air because it’ll get too hot, but leave it on and it freezes you.
- The pillows on the bed were so soft they might as well have been sheets. They were truly pathetic. The last time I had such shitty pillows was at the $39/night Best Western in Hope, Arkansas. Oh, and the mattress sucked too. It felt cheap, springy and old.
All in all, I would not stay here again. There are way, way too many options in the area, so I’d recommend checking out the others on TripAdvisor and choosing something with a rating higher than 4.
Ok. Here is the part where I get into my standard hotel Q&A.
- Location: Good. This is a good striking out point to the best beaches on the island, and not too far from all of the other major attractions.
- Cleanliness: Seemed clean, but old. Oh, of course that doesn’t include the roaches.
- Staff: Not very friendly or helpful.
- Bed: Uncomfortable. Felt thin, springy and at least 10 years old. Didn’t even use fitted bottom sheets, just used a regular sheet on the mattress, which is unacceptable for any hotel, much less one that goes for almost $200 per night.
- Internet: Medium. They have wireless connectivity through Wayport. I had trouble connecting and had to call in for help. They told me they had 7 consecutive calls from problems like mine, so the lady just comped me a free day and let me connect.
- TV: Poor. One little old 20″ analog television in each room.
- Size: Medium. Neither the bedroom or living room were large, but both were reasonably sized.
- Noise: Even though my room was beside the elevator it was pretty quiet.
- Fully Enclosed: Yes. With an old jacuzzi tub.
- Exhaust Fan: No.
- Shower head: Crappy little cheapo.
- Lighting: Moderate.
Maui Coast Hotel
2259 South Kihei Road
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753