There is a common Greek soup called Avgolemono which is basically a Chicken & Rice soup with a slight lemon flavor that happens to make normal Chicken & Rice soup pale by comparison (In Greek the “avgo” means egg and the “lemono” is lemon). The only problem is that traditional Avgolemono soup takes hours to prepare and, while the payoff is fantastic, most people just don’t have the time to dedicate to that sort of venture.
Luckily I’ve come up with a suitable alternative which will render 90% of the great taste with 5% of the effort! On top of that, this dish can literally be made in 5 minutes, and will only make one saucepan and one measuring cup dirty! Here is how you make it.
The Avgolemono Soup Recipe Video
The Avgolemono Soup Recipe
- 1 Large Can (26 oz.) of Campbell’s Chicken & Rice Soup
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3 Egg Yolks
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Large Lemon
- 1 Large Saucepan
- 1 Large Glass Measuring Cup
- Wire Wisk
Follow these simple instructions once you’ve got your ingredients ready.
- Pour the Campbell’s Soup, plus one third additional can of water, into a large sauce pan and turn the stove on high temperature.
- Pour 1 cup of milk into a large measuring cup.
- Add 3 egg yolks to the milk in the measuring cup.
- Add 1 tablespoon of parsley and fresh ground pepper to the measuring cup.
- Wisk the contents of the measuring cup thoroughly.
- About this time, the soup is normally beginning to boil. Once it does, stir it with the wisk a bit then turn off the burner.
- While stirring the soup constantly with the wisk, slowly pour the milk / egg mixture into the soup.
- Once the mixture has been combined, turn the burner back on and let the soup simmer for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, rinse the measuring cup then squeeze one large lemon into it. Remove all seeds.
- Finally, stir the lemon juice into the soup.
A few notes:
- You must add the milk/egg mixture into the hot soup slowly or the egg will solidify and become chunky like Chinese egg drop soup. We don’t want that here.
- You can NOT substitute lemon juice in a bottle for the fresh squeezed lemon. If you don’t have a lemon, don’t make this soup!
- If you’d like, you can add some additional chopped chicken, either fresh or from a can, to make the soup a little meatier.
That’s all! Serve up a heaping bowl and enjoy it with your family. Normally one bowl of this stuff will really fill you up, unlike normal Chicken and Rice soup.